Monday, April 02, 2007

It's that time again

We have a never-ending line of politicians seeking the presidency in 2008. I've been trying to decide who to support this early in the game.

It should be noted that I will not support a Republican for president unless he/she says publicly that Bush has led our country astray, and unless he supports a reasonably supportive stance towards our nation's immigrants.

So that leaves me with the dems. And it's been a struggle. As much as I would love to see a lady president, Hillary isn't doing it for me. As I keep mentioning to people, it feels like more of the same. We've had either Bushes or Clintons in the White House for the last 20 years. It's time for some new blood. And Hillary hasn't listed her proposal for the country. I have no idea what she stands for except that she's a woman, state senator of New York, former First Lady, and she's for health care, whatever that means. She hasn't listed any ideas for what she wants to accomplish and how. Which in a large way reminds me of Bush. So in brief, Hillary Clinton: More of the same, in a bad way.

My other problem is that I want to support a viable candidate. I want my guy/girl to win. As much as I love Bill Richardson, he doesn't have the national spotlight. I remember his work with the Clinton administration, I like that he's the governor of New Mexico, but he just doesn't have the national pull to win.

That leaves me with Barack Obama. In fact, I love the guy. He's listed all of his presidential objectives on his website. Even if I feel like his ideas about the health insurance system are a little more international, it seems he's more concerned with the health of 3rd world countries than with the health insurance crisis of the United States. Perhaps he's trying not to step on Hillary's toes. While I do agree that third world countries need our attention, we're long overdue to address our health system concerns at home. Regardless, at least I know where his views are.

I'm still game though. I want to hear what the others have to say, perhaps it's too early in the game to choose. But Obama's got the JFK thing going and the wherewithall to actually lead this country, not simply take charge of it.
GG

No comments: