Thursday, August 23, 2007

raindrops keep falling on my head

I'm having a cranky moment.

It's only temporary.

It's a momentary pity party.

There's nothing I can do about it.

Except put a cheesy romantic comedy on the dvd.

excuse me while I go beat up a pillow or something.

How come they never show the "after" of a romantic comedy? They spend the whole movie getting the two diametrically opposed lovers together and they never even give you a list of their trials and tribulations. You get to assume that they have their ups and downs, but you always leave the theater with the fairy tale happy ending, feeling good about living and confident that things always work out in the end.

And I am one of those youngsters that falls for that sentimentality. But right now, I'm not always so sure that everything works out alright.

Like When Harry Met Sally, arguably my favorite movie. Sure they get their wedding cake with the chocolate sauce, on the side. But this couple gets married in 1988. That's nearly 20 years ago. I want to know what happened. And I don't think it's pretty.

But I suppose that's not why we go to the movies. Because the messy life is what we're living now and what we want to escape from on dvd.

GG

No comments: