Saturday, March 17, 2007

Knitter's Weekend

My parents have gone to Texas to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa. That means I get to spend the weekend catsitting at my parents' house. You'll find me on the couch, KWI. You know, Knitting Without Interruption.

It's not too often that I'm alone for days at a time, without having to go to work. It's quieting and restful. I'm trying to find some sort of personal insight into this peaceful weekend, but I'm not finding any.

I must be knitting too much, because any insights I have are in my knitting.

I'm still working on the Central Park Hoodie, and I've 3-needle-bound-off the shoulder seams. They look nice and tidy. And now I am knitting the hood part, for which I needed to pick up some stitches. It's nice to see that my picked up stitches are much neater than in past attempts. Quite gratifying actually. I feel like I should be sweaty in the middle of a boxing ring holding the championship belt for finishing. But we still have the botton bands to do yet.

I'm still working on the Lace Style beginner lace shrug thing-o. I'd tell you the actual name of the project, but I left that book at home. Just when I think I have the hang of the lace, I get to the end of a row and have an extra stitch. Harumph. But that's why we have the extra projects.

I cast on for the One Skein Baby Bolero. That will be a quickie, fortunately b/c there's a baby on the way (not mine) scheduled for arrival in May, and with all this upcoming Japan travel I need to get that finished pronto. I'm using the Blue Sky Cotton it calls for and I have a huge stash of it, in an abundance of colors, but this is the first time I'm actually using it and man, I'm soooo glad I bought so much of it, because it's like buttah, Barbara Streisand buttah. One day when I get crazy enough to buy a knitting machine, I might actually make myself a blanket out of this stuff, but then again, there's this cardigan that I like from Greetings from the Knit Cafe that I could make with it. oooo wouldn't that be cozy.

Can't you tell I've had a glass of wine?

Tomorrow morning I will wonder-of-all-wonders cast-on the Icarus Shawl. Gag, blah freak out!!!!! This is the Thelma and Louise of knitting projects. My pal Izzy is my Thursday night gal. If I'm not hanging out with her at gaming, then we're at Knit Night at MFA. And either I was drunk on wine, or on the abundance of new yarn that Warren had, but we decided that we have to do a knit-along together just for our gaming nights. That in itself is not dangerous. The dangerous part was deciding that we should knit the Icarus shawl. Why not? It's a beautiful shawl, and I haven't done lace of the micrometer gauge yet, but something tells me that gaming and delicate lace don't mix.

I can picture it now...

INT: Suburban Dining Area

Six people surround the dining table with dnd books, dice and junkfood. The Dungeon Master (DM) sits at the head of the table with his dragon divider.

DM "Grenadine, what's your initiative"

No response from Grenadine, she's busy knitting.

The rest of the gamers (except Izzy, the other knitter) stare at Grenadine.

Grenadine: "Oh are you talking to me?"

DM: "Yes what's your initiative?"

Grenadine: "2"

DM: "2, that's not possible, your dex mod is at least 3"

GG: "Oh sorry that was the number of repeats in the shawl? What am I rolling for?"

This kind of thing could get you kicked out of a game. But not to confuse my partner in crime Izzy, I'm looking forward to Icarus and people tell me it's easier than it looks.

Well I should get back to the knitting... and that glass of wine.

GG

No comments: