Thursday, August 18, 2005

Yum.

Usually I start off the post with a snappy title, but today I can't figure out a title for the life of me. I clear my head and it remains entirely blank. Usually something speaks to me in the silence, but nothing. Maybe it's because this has been a crazy week. Maybe its because I'm still getting a cold, or perhaps more likely we have lost our way in the land of blog.

Remember the early days of the blog where I would post anything I wanted, personal, political, magical? Nowadays I feel guilty if my post deviates too far from what's considered crafty. For instance I would like to post some food-related content, but some of my knitting friends think that should be relegated to a separate blog, but can't cooking be considered a craft too? I'm not just whipping up a box of macaroni and cheese, when I cook, I really take everything I've learned and put it into food. I make my own creations, mostly good comfort food.

I know food as comfort is a taboo subject these days since we're not supposed to be filling the void in our lives with food, but cooking solidly good food with fresh ingrediants is as nourishing to make as it is to eat. Thus cooking to me has become a craft as much as quilting and knitting. So much so that after a cooking dinner, I rarely have the energy to work on my more "crafty" projects. Cooking is a creative endeavor that requires an emotional investment to be sucessful. Simply knowing a few techniques and a key flavors allows you to express yourself.

As you may remember I had a cold this week, which I managed to pass onto Mr. Grenadine. Mr. Grenadine hates being sick and I felt bad that he got it from me so I made him one of my chicken soups. There once was a time when I used to HATE chicken soup. In fact I still kinda do. I never order it in restaurants, I hate the canned stuff at home. Its all too salty and the chicen too stringy. I used to wonder why people liked to eat the stuff when they were sick.

But then I witnessed the joy that is roasting chicken thighs. A friend made the most delicious bbq chicken and I realized that the moistest and tastiest part of the chicken isn't in the breast, it's in the thigh. Don't get me wrong, breast is great for curries, pastas and salads, and it's a low fat protein source, but what it lacks in fat, it lacks in flavor and texture, which you need when making soup. Chicken thigh not only has enough fat and flavor, a package of 6 thighs are pretty cheap while boneless, skinless breast is as expensive as some beefsteaks. The other great thing about chicken thighs is that you can roast them in their own skins with a little salt, pepper and thyme and you don't have to add any additional fat.

funny how i'm writing about food, whilst watching Iron Chef...

Anyhoo, here is my chicken soup recipe, which I make with love to heal my husband when he has a cold.

Angela’s Chicken Soup

3 carrots
4 stalks of celery
2 small onions
2 large potatoes
1 bag frozen corn
6 chicken thighs
2 liters chicken broth
2 tbls butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne
Dash of dried or fresh Thyme
Dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400.
Put chicken thighs in oven proof baking dish, skin side up.
Flavor chicken with Salt and Pepper and thyme, no need for oil, the chicken skin provides enough fat.
Roast chicken for 45 minutes or until skin is crispy and meat is tender.

While chicken is roasting, chop all vegetables except for the corn.
Melt butter in dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in carrots, celery, and onions. Saute until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Season soup with cayenne, thyme and nutmeg to taste. Let simmer over medium low heat until the chicken has cooked. Add corn.

When chicken is fully cook, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for five minutes. Cut the chicken using a fork and knife, adding it with the skin to the soup. Let simmer another 10 minutes. Serve with a fresh, crusty French bread.

Yum.

GG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I for one, think you can post as much cooking content on a knitting blog as you want. Gotta eat, right? ;)