Saturday, October 21, 2006

SP9 Random Fact

I wasn't a knitter when I got married. My husband didn't have the slightest clue what he was getting into. Sure, I made a few quilts and did some scrapbooking, but no where near the scale that knitting has invaded my life.

I learned how to knit three weeks after our wedding.

The husband and I were dancing a waltz at home, so happy that we were together, finally experiencing the wedded bliss that everyone talks about. We were so happy that we cried together, thrilled at the possibilities before us.

And then the phone rang. It was SO's auntie, calling from Australia with the news that SO's brother was in a coma.

Within 24 hours, my new husband was on a plane to Australia. It was terrible all around. I had never even met SO's brother. And I had never seen my husband so sad. And I was miserable that I couldn't be there to support him. I was alone, all of my good friends lived away. I sat around the house and couldn't figure out what to do. Nothing could calm me. TV was too trivial, movies too sad.

I had to snap out of it. A voice in my head said "when in doubt, learn a new skill". I had always wanted to learn how to knit and a Michaels had opened just around the corner so I went there and picked up a little Lion Brand learn to knit kit, in the least offensive color possible. The instructions were easy to read and I was able to teach myself how to knit and purl. Though I was a bit too tight at first soon enough I eased on the needles and the movements became simpler, more natural. In no time was I experiencing the calming effects of knitting and the satisfaction of my first finished scarf. Knitting got me through this terrible time.

My brother in law lay in a coma for three weeks, he had septisemia, a systemwide infection of the blood. He showed some signs of improving, at which point my husband came home, but within days he had taken a turn for the worse and he died, surrounded by family, two years ago yesterday.

He loved fishing, the ocean, being with his friends, and playing the guitar. I remember him whenever I see crows or hear Creedence Clearwater Revival and sometimes while I knit.

GG

No comments: